Skilled Migration Visa Subclass 491 (Skilled Work Regional Visa)
The skilled migration visa, subclass 491, is not a permanent residence visa. The visa subclass 491 will allow eligible skilled workers to live and work in the regional areas of Australia for a period of 5 years. Successful migrants holding 491 visa will be eligible to apply for an Australian Permanent Residence visa after 3 years. Skilled Migration to Australia from Bangladesh through subclass 491 could be a great and easy way to settle in Australia.
All visa applicants for this visa must:
- be nominated by an Australian state or territory government agency or
- be sponsored by an eligible family member residing in a designated regional area
- and be invited to apply for the visa, succeeding submission of an Expression of Interest (EOI) in SkillSelect system.
Subclass 491 Skilled Work Regional (Provisional) visa has replaced the 489 visa and started on November 16, 2019.
How to apply for permanent residence from 491 visa
To meet the basic requirements of the permanent visa (from November 2022), all applicants must have held a subclass 491 for at least 3 years, have followed the conditions on that visa, and have fulfilled minimum taxable income requirements in Australia.
You will be able to show at least $53,900 as your annual income. Your partner can also be the main applicant for the 191 visa if they can demonstrate these criteria.
Summary of the 491 visa:
- be available on the 491 occupations list
- Replaces 489 family and state sponsored visas
- Must be sponsored by Australian State or an eligible family member in Australia
- Points tested
- Visa will be granted for initially 5 years
- Must live and work for 3 years in regional areas to get Permanent Residence (Skilled Regional) 191 Visa
- You or your spouse will need to make a minimum income each year ($53,900 per annum)- for the State sponsored stream it may be in any occupation
- Regional Australia is everywhere except Melbourne, Sydney, and Brisbane.
- You may settle in Regional areas like Perth, Gold Coast, Sunshine Coast, Lake Macquarie, Wollongong, Adelaide, Illawarra, Geelong, Newcastle, Canberra, and Hobart.
- You won’t be able to apply for any other skilled PR or 820 spouse visa for 3 years
Benefits of the 491 visa:
- Quick processing
- Extra points available to subclass 491 visa applicants
Sponsorship by an eligible relative (Family stream)
Please note that for the 491 family stream your occupation must be on the MLTSSL list. Your sponsor must be:
- 18 years old or older
- usually resident in a designated area of Australia
- be an Australian citizen, an Australian permanent resident, or an eligible New Zealand citizen
- be your or your partner’s eligible relative