Schengen Visa from Bangladesh
Getting a Schengen Visa from Bangladesh can be straightforward if you have all the necessary documents. To increase your chances of approval, follow the document checklist and preparation tips below.
What Documents Do You Need for a Schengen Visa From Bangladesh?
- Application form: Fill out the Schengen visa application form available on embassy or visa center websites, then download, complete, and sign it.
- Bangladeshi passport: Provide your original passport with a copy. It should have at least three months of validity beyond your departure date, two blank pages, and be issued within the last 10 years.
- Identity photographs: Submit two recent photos meeting Schengen visa photo guidelines, taken within the last six months. The number of photos required may vary by country.
- Civil status certificate: Include documents like birth certificates, marriage certificates, family certificates, or death certificates if applicable.
- Proof of accommodation: Show proof of hotel reservations, Airbnb bookings, or a letter from a host if you’re staying with friends or family.
- Round-trip Flight Itinerary: Present your flight reservations from Bangladesh to the EU and back, including internal flights if applicable.
- Travel health insurance: Provide a certificate with at least EUR 30,000 (৳ 3,241,882.80 as of January 2023) coverage for medical emergencies.
- Proof of paid visa fee: Include the receipt confirming payment of the visa fee.
- Cover letter: Some cases may require a cover letter explaining your visa application, your plans during your stay, and your intended duration in the Schengen Area.
- Copies of previous Schengen visas: If you had a Schengen visa before, submit copies of your previous permits.
- Birth certificate and parental consent (if applicable): Minors must provide their birth certificate and parental consent for travel, signed by both parents or legal guardians, unless specific circumstances apply.
- Proof of financial means: Depending on your status, provide original bank statements for the last three to six months, employment contract and leave approval (if employed), business license and bank statements (if self-employed/freelancer), university or school documents (if a student), or pension statements (if retired).
Supporting Documents for Different Schengen Visa Types From Bangladesh:
Visitor Visa: If you’re visiting a friend or relative, include an invitation letter, a guarantee form, your host’s passport, and proof of their residence permit if applicable.
Tourist Visa: Include bank statements for the last six months, an affidavit of support (if needed), a travel itinerary, and hotel reservations or an invitation letter from a resident of a Schengen country.
How Should I Arrange My Schengen Visa Documents?
There’s no strict order for organizing your documents because different embassies may have varying preferences. The key is to make sure you have all the necessary documents and arrange them in a logical manner.
Do I Need to Translate My Documents?
If you have documents in Bengali, like work contracts or medical certificates, they should be translated into English or one of the official languages of the Schengen country. These translations may need to be certified with an Apostille stamp for validity.
Can I Submit Photocopies of My Documents?
While most embassies in Bangladesh require original documents, some may also ask for certified copies, especially for documents like marriage certificates or family certificates.
Is Biometric Data Submission Required?
Yes, you must provide your fingerprints at the embassy, consulate, or visa center on the day of your visa interview. This applies if it’s your first visa application or if five years have passed since your last submission. Note that children under 12 are exempt from this requirement.
Can I Apply for a Schengen Visa Without a Passport?
You must have a valid passport when applying for a Schengen visa. If your passport is expired, lost, or damaged, you should ensure you get a new one in time before applying for your visa.
Can I Use Staples to Secure My Documents?
Unless the embassy or consulate explicitly requests it, avoid stapling your documents. Instead, use paper clips to attach or separate additional documents.
Is a Purchased Flight Ticket Mandatory for a Schengen Visa Application?
While a return flight ticket can demonstrate your intention to return to Bangladesh and not overstay your visa, you can also include a flight itinerary with essential details as an alternative. This allows you to avoid purchasing a ticket before your visa is issued.
What Happens to My Documents If My Schengen Visa Is Denied?
Some embassies in Bangladesh may return your passport along with the other submitted documents if your visa application is denied. However, if you plan to reapply for a Schengen visa, you’ll need to gather all the required documents again, as previously submitted documents may no longer be valid.
What If I Forget to Include a Document?
Missing crucial documents like travel insurance or photo identification can result in visa rejection. Depending on the embassy or visa center, you may be allowed to resubmit your application with the complete set of required documents.
Do Embassies Verify the Authenticity of My Documents?
Yes, embassies and consulates will verify whether your documents are genuine and issued by official institutions in Bangladesh. Submitting fraudulent documents can lead to the denial of your visa application.
What Documents Are Needed for a Multiple Entry Schengen Visa?
If you’re applying for a multiple-entry Schengen visa from Bangladesh, you may be asked to provide additional documents justifying the need for such a visa. However, the core set of required documents remains the same.
Can Someone Else Submit My Documents on My Behalf?
Normally, you are required to submit your documents in person on the day of your Schengen visa appointment. However, in emergency situations, you can authorize someone else to apply on your behalf if you’ve previously provided your fingerprints for a Schengen visa application. In such cases, prepare a written authorization signed by you or grant power of attorney to the person applying for you. Please note that notarization of your visa application may be required.